Christmas in 2020 promises to be like no other. With the pandemic still raging, not all of us will be able to physically get together with our family members to enjoy a traditional holiday meal. Those of us who are able to do so are extremely fortunate, and we should be grateful for that. In this article, we’ll provide you with an awesome healthy roast meal that your family will savor for dinner.
Honey Chicken Stir Fry
Honey Chicken Stir Fry will provide your family with a delicious holiday treat that covers all of your nutrient bases. The chicken breast will provide a fantastic source of lean protein, while the frozen vegetables deliver a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals. The honey flavoring adds antioxidants. It all comes together in this simple recipe that is best served with rice.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast (chopped into one inch portions)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (reduced sodium)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 16 oz frozen broccoli stir fry vegetable blend
- Mix the water and cornstarch until you get a smooth consistency.
- In a large non-stick pan, heat two tablespoons of oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken and garlic, and stir fry for one minute.
- Add the honey, soy sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Stir fry for another two to three minutes until the chicken is no longer pink, then remove it from the pan.
- Using the same pan, blend in the remaining oil for four to five minutes until it is tender.
- Replace the chicken in the pan. Add the cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil.
- Stir fry for another one minute.
Three More Healthy Dinner Recipes
The honey chicken stir fry recipe will provide your family with a mouth-watering Christmas Day main course. However, you may wish to go with a more traditional turkey dish. Here is a healthy take on the traditional turkey dinner with a citrus twist. You won’t have to smother this turkey with butter or salt once it’s on the plate as it will deliver its own flavor and recipe through the cooking.
Roast Citrus Turkey
- 1 turkey, 12 pounds
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lemons
- 2 limes
- 1 orange
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Rinse the turkey and pat dry with paper towels, then arrange it in a roasting pan.
- Rub the turkey with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and dried oregano and sage.
- Slice one lemon, one lime, and half an orange into large rings.
- Lift up the skin of the turkey and place the citrus slices under the skin.
- Cut the remaining lemon and lime in half and squeeze the juice over the bird. Use the rest of the orange in the same way.
- Stuff the used citrus into the cavity of the turkey. This will produce enough juice for basting.
- Roast the turkey at 325 degrees for four hours, basting occasionally.
- Remove it from the oven, and let it sit for another half hour before carving.
Spicy Roast Leg of Lamb
Maybe your family’s not that into poultry. No problem—we’ve got you covered with an awesome red meat Christmas family dinner main course. This spicy roast leg of lamb will deliver a sumptuous, filling treat for all members of the family.
Ingredients for the Lamb:
- 1 pound leg of lamb, with bone
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Ingredients for the Lamb Spice Rub:
- 15 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons mint
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- Let the lamb sit at room temperature for an hour.
- While you wait, put all of the spice rub ingredients in a food processor and blend. Refrigerate the rub.
- Using a sharp knife, make a few cuts in the lamb. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place on a roasting pan.
- Heat the broiler and broil for five minutes on each side so the whole thing is seared.
- Place the lamb on the counter and set the oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let the lamb cool, then fill the cuts with the garlic slices and cover with the spice rub.
- Add two cups of water to the roasting pan.
- Sprinkle the potatoes and onions with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Arrange them around the leg of lamb.
- Loosely cover the roasting pan with aluminum foil, and place it back in the oven.
- Roast the lamb for one hour.
- Discard the foil, and roast for fifteen more minutes.
- Let the leg of lamb sit for twenty minutes before serving.
Healthy Christmas Dessert
Finish your family Christmas Day evening with a healthy fresh fruit salad. This simple recipe is fresh, light, and sweet enough for all the family to enjoy without being weighed down, allowing them to get up early the next day to enjoy their gifts.
Fresh Fruit Salad
Makes eight servings.
- 1 pound strawberries
- ½ pound blueberries
- ½ pound raspberries
- 8 clementine oranges, peeled and divided into segments
- 1 pound seedless grapes
- Whipped cream
- Mix all the fruit together in a bowl.
- Divide into eight dessert bowls or parfait glasses and place a scoop of whipped cream on top.
The holidays are a time for feeling gratitude, spending time together as a family, and enjoying fine food. If yours is one of those fortunate families that are able to gather this Christmas Day, why not give our healthy recipes a try? We’re pretty confident that your family will love them!